Kansas Homeschool

Kansas Homeschool Attendance Ages: Students age 7 and under the age of 18 years are
required to attend school in Kansas. Mandatory attendance ends at age 16 with parental consent. 

Kansas Homeschool Required Days of Instruction: Substantially equivalent to that of the local public school.

Kansas Required Subjects: Kansas does not have any required subject for “non-accredited” private schools. Required subjects for public schools and accredited private schools include reading, writing, arithmetic, geography, spelling, English grammar and composition, civil government, United States and Kansas history, patriotism and duties of a citizen, health, and hygiene.

Alternative Statutes Allowing for Home Schools:

There are multiple home school options for parents that plan to use homeschool for their child in Kansas. 

Option 1.

Non-accredited private school option.

1. Choose a name for the school, then register the name and address with the State Board of Education.  Keep a copy of the registration in case the state loses the original. Always refer to your home school as a “private school” when dealing with officials-not as a “home school.”

2. The instructor must be competent.

3. Instruction must be provided for a period of time substantially equivalent to public school, about 186 days.

4. The instruction must be
(a) planned
(b) scheduled
(c) periodic testing must occur.

Planned and scheduled instruction, periodic testing, and competent instructor should be applied to determine whether home instruction is a private school.

5. State approval is not required. The State Department of Education has no authority to approve or disapprove non-accredited private schools

6. Local approval of a private school is not required.

7. Local approval of private school teachers is not required.

8. Unplanned, unscheduled instruction by an instructor who was not competent and did not conduct periodic testing was ruled to not be a private school by the Kansas Supreme Court, so make sure you meet the above requirements before starting a private school for your child.
Option 2.

Operate as a satellite of a private school located in Kansas.
College Admission. A Kansas resident who graduates from a non-accredited private school (homeschool) may obtain by-right admission to state colleges and universities with an ACT score of 21 or higher.

Teacher Qualifications:
Must be competent. local school boards have no authority either express or implied to evaluate the competence of an instructor of a private school or to approve or disapprove the qualifications of any such instructor.  Non-accredited private schools are not required to employ teachers who are licensed by the state, but their courses must be taught by competent instructors.

Standardized Tests: There is no required standardized tests required for homeschool students in Kansas.

Kansas Homeschool Transfer Process

When a student transfers to a non-accredited private school, the school previously attended must be notified by the parent/guardian that the student is changing schools. If a student simply stops coming to school, the school is required by law to report the student as truant.

It is in the best interest of students attending non-accredited private schools that accurate and complete records of their progress be kept. These records will be needed if the student transfers to a public or an accredited school, or applies for admission to a college or university.

If a student transfers from a non-accredited private school to an accredited school, the accredited school is not required to accept the transfer of credit. The accredited school may find it necessary to test the student in order to make a decision regarding the transfer of credit.

Books and School Materials

Non-accredited private schools are responsible for acquiring their own books and curriculum materials. Books may be purchased from private organizations, checked out through the public library, or rented from the public school with district approval. The public school is under no obligation to make books and materials available to students attending other schools.